Packages being stolen: With the ever growing number of people who run home-based businesses, free or flat rate shipping deals that are offered for on-line purchases and the holiday season approaching, we will see an increase in package deliveries. Along with the increased number of packages that will be delivered over the next several weeks, expect to hear about increased cases of packages being stolen from front porches.
I have a few tips listed below on how you can prevent being a victim of this type of crime. Pick what works for you:
- Give the shipper specific times for delivery (when you will be there to accept delivery).
- Have your package delivered to your work address if you or someone else will be there to accept delivery for you.
- Ask a trusted family member or neighbor if you can have the package delivered to their address if you will be on vacation or at work during the expected delivery date.
- Have the package sent to the delivery company warehouse where you can pick it up in person.
- Ask the shipper to require a signature upon delivery.
- Insure the package.
- Obtain tracking information from the shipper.
- Contact the company you ordered from and the shipper if you suspect your parcel has been stolen.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to check your front porch if you will be away during the expected delivery date. Also ask that person to check for fliers, door hanger advertisements, papers, mail, etc.
- Doorbell cameras are on the market and allow you to monitor your porch when you are not home and some have intercom features as well.
- Get a Post Office box or a commercial mail box (ex: UPS store) where deliveries are not as prone to theft due to staff on site and security measures in place at the site.
I have fliers on this topic for our community in the Foothills Substation lobby (12800 Lomas Blvd NE between Juan Tabo and Tramway) for the public. With a little advance preparation, you can take preventative measures against this common holiday season type of theft.
Two guns stolen during auto burglaries over the weekend: criminals not afraid to break into vehicles are now armed with an unspecified handgun and a 9MM Smith & Wesson. Please secure your firearms! Do not leave guns unsecured or ‘hidden’ in vehicles, park and walk away. This is endangering our entire community. The Foothills Substation lobby has a small number of trigger locks and accompanying literature available as long as supplies last for the community.
Property Crime in the Foothills from Thursday, 11/10 through Sunday, 11/13
1 Armed Robbery to a Business: 13000-block of Indian School Road NE.
1 Armed Robbery to an Individual: 100-block of Juan Tabo Blvd NE.
1 Robbery at a Residence (Home Invasion): 1700-block of Archuleta NE. Entry via unsecured doggie door.
13 Stolen Vehicles: 11200-block of Central, 800-block of Piedra Larga NE, 1300-block of Chelwood Park Blvd NE, 12000-block of Candelaria NE, 11100-block of Huerfano Rd SE, 14300-block of Arcadia NE, 12800-block of Lomas Blvd NE, 1800-block of Betts NE, 900-block of Eubank Blvd NE, 2100-block of White Cloud NE, 3800-block of Mt. Ranier Dr NE, 4800-block of Manitoba Court NE. We also had 5 reports of attempted auto thefts to vehicles in addition to 13 stolen in 4 days in the Foothills Area Command.
7 Residential Burglaries: 600-block of Dorado Place SE, 800-block of Piedra Larga NE (residential burglary, stolen vehicle and auto burglary all stemming from initial auto burglary; used garage door opener left inside unattended vehicle to commit the other crimes), 2100-block of June Street NE, 11100-block of Acoma SE, 11600-block of Gallant Fox Rd SE, 13100-block of Wenonah SE, 11200-block of Wales Avenue NE. Entries via kicking in front doors, back sliding glass doors, using a stolen garage door opener.
21 Auto Burglaries: 800-block of Piedra Larga NE, 11100-block of Lomas Blvd NE, 12300-block of Haines NE, 3700-block of Ridge Point Loop NE, 9900-block of Spain Rd NE, 10000-block of Del Chapparal Court NE, 11400-block of Cochiti SE, 11700-block of Herman Roser SE, 10900-block of Jewel Cave SE, 11200-block of Canyonlands SE, 10400-block of Central NE, 200-block of Tramway Blvd NE, 300-block of Western Skies SE, 400-block of Western Skies SE, 400-block of Paisano NE, 400-block of Tramway Blvd NE, 12600-block of Nambe NE, 11900-block of Morrow NE, 1200-block of Nakomis NE, 12500-block of Comanche Rd NE, 10800-block of Montgomery Blvd NE. Entries made by reaching in windows, prying off door frame, breaking windows, damaging door locks. Items stolen? garage door opener (led to subsequent residential burglary and auto theft), multiple purses, multiple IDs and drivers licenses, multiple sets of vehicle registration and insurance documents, back packs, bags of work and school items, a suitcase, a work laptop, 2 guns, tool box and tools. Review what you are leaving behind in your vehicle when you park: bring in all articles of value and anything with personal information on it and all firearms.
I hope your week is off to a good start and that you were able to thank a veteran for his or her their service to our great nation. Be safe,
Jill Garcia, Crime Prevention Specialist / ICPS, NCPS – APD, Foothills Area Command